Open Position – General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer
General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer
General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer
Founded in 2000, Northstar Commercial Partners (“Northstar”) is a privately‐held commercial real estate investment organization that owns, operates and has developed millions of square feet in data centers, office buildings, industrial buildings, senior housing, and retail assets throughout the United States. Northstar’s current portfolio includes assets in 15 states totaling 8.25+ million square feet.
Northstar is seeking an experienced General Counsel / Chief Compliance Officer. A successful candidate will be expected to:
- Assist with PSAs, property acquisitions, dispositions, contract negotiations, leasing, financing and related
- Collaborate with acquisitions and dispositions teams regarding deal terms.
- Assist in the management of litigation and claims and assist as necessary in resolving disputes.
- Draft and/or review various real estate documents including land acquisition agreements, development agreements, easements, CCR’s, etc.
- Assist with corporate governance projects and issues.
- Oversee transactions, including responsibility for undertaking and/or managing title and survey review and overseeing closing and closing‐related logistics.
- Assist with purchase and sale agreement drafting and negotiation.
- Address potential diligence issues including, but not limited to: physical or environmental problems.
- Review and negotiate loan documents, including in connection with new debt, loan assumptions, substitutions, and releases.
- Oversee legal matters relating to title, boundary dispute, and environmental litigation. Other duties as assigned.
- Drive the negotiation process, close of contract, and partner support.
- Advise senior management, finance and business teams on a wide variety of regulatory and corporate legal matters, including investment management, strategic partnerships, and private fund management.
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action.
- Coordinate relationships with outside legal counsel on a variety of compliance and legal matters.
- Assist in monitoring business activities to ensure they are performed in compliance with company policy, securities laws, and SEC, FINRA, state insurance and applicable foreign regulations.
- Assist management with identifying and resolving regulatory issues both within the business unit and across multiple business units.
- Assist regulators, auditors and business unit management with regulatory exams and inquiries.
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors.
- Monitor the effectiveness of established compliance processes and controls and recommend and implement enhancements.
- Develop, organize, and deliver consistent compliance related training, and reinforce all compliance‐related communications.
- Provide current, direct, complete, and “actionable” positive and corrective feedback to others.
- Have proven experience in a similar senior or executive‐level position(s), with the demonstrated ability to turn business goals into actionable plans with appropriate risk management.
- Have the ability to work well on multiple, simultaneous projects and deadlines.
- Promote, protect and set the tone to reflect the Northstar’s reputation for ethics, integrity and honesty in all dealings.
- Display passion for working hard and taking initiative in a fast‐paced environment with motivated and collegial colleagues.
- Enjoy being part of a collaborative and diverse culture that supports Northstar’s values.
- The candidate should have a strong academic record, excellent written and oral communication skills with an emphasis on the ability to communicate well with all levels of understanding regarding legal issues and must be committed to providing exceptional client service.
- Have at least five (5) years of top‐tier legal experience in commercial real estate transactions (in scope to the described responsibilities) and be admitted to the Colorado Bar.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills are required. Should have strong PC skills with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Ideally have both law firm and in‐house experience.
Compensation will be based on experience and relevant work‐related history.
Interested applicants who possess desired skills and experience may submit the following items for consideration of this position (note that any applicants who do not address all items listed below will not be considered):
- Cover letter with your desired salary
- Email to Kimlynn Huynh email@example.com with the subject line: General Counsel / Chief Compliance Officer
More information regarding Northstar can be viewed at: www.northstarcp.com. Please do not call the company regarding this job at this time. We will gather resumes and make phone calls and/or emails for the 1st interview to qualified candidates. Due to an anticipated high volume of resumes received, calls will not be made to applicants that we are not interested in interviewing. Thanks you for understanding.